Why science cannot always be trusted…
Ever wondered why people don’t think science is straightforward and why you can’t just apply logic, ignore emotions and solve scientific problems? Wondered why the scientific method isn’t straightforward, and why people find it so difficult to differentiate science from non-science?
It’s because it’s complex, and such a point of view has the following issues:
- Theories cannot be reduced to observations.
- Scientific method is not merely logical entailment.
- Observation is not theory-neutral.
- Theories do not cumulate historically.
- Facts are theory-laden.
- Science is not isolated from human individuals.
- Science is not isolated from society.
- Method is not timelessly universal.
- Logic should not be privileged.
- There is no gulf between fact and value.