The content in this blog is my own, and does not represent the views of my employer or any other organisation with whom I am associated (unless they wish to associate themselves).
I am an enthusiastic guy with a love of science, enthusiasm for communication and extensive experience in the fields of web applications and project management.
Certificate in IT & Computing, Open University
Certificate in Natural Sciences, Open University
Diploma in Health Sciences, Open University
BSc (Hons) Life Sciences, Open University
Postgraduate Diploma in Science and Society, Open University
- How Discourse About Homeopathy Was Affected By The 10:23 Campaign: A Case Study In Public Engagement
- Communication of risk information in emergency and crisis situations, particularly in the public health field
- Engaging resistant groups with science
Member of the British Computer Society
Member of the British Science Association
Employment and Experience
Technical Project Manager
for an environmental, health and safety consultancy (Jan 2010 – current)
(previously employed in similar roles since 2005)
I manage Microsoft stack (.NET, SQL Server, IIS) projects for clients through the complete life cycle, from conception through specification, through the software production and quality assurance process, into user acceptance testing and out into go-live. I am also responsible for managing the development infrastructure and managing the day-to-day running of our customer help desk.
I also consult with organisations on their project, provide critical friend reviews and research for project designs and have provided consultancy services on engaging with target populations in the online environment.
I have been in web and software development and project management for more than 10 years, and worked on a range of projects:
- Public outreach websites for sexual health outreach organisations
- Insurance trading platforms for a number of companies in the leisure insurance industry
- Forecourt environmental risk management system for a well-known petrol retailer
- Competency management platform for a pivotal organisation in the national energy market
- Environmental policy compliance system for a well-known construction management company
- Property management system for a key company in property management sector
Public Engagement an Patient Involvement Lead (part-time)
NHS (Comprehensive Local Research Network for Kent and Medway) (Nov 2009 – May 2010)
I worked with the executive group of the CLRN to promote involvement of public and patients in research planning, governance and oversight of health and social care research.